10 June 2011
Posted in Vegetarian
June 10, 2011
Dried Morels can be found in the store if the fresh morels are not available.
What you will need:
2 ready made puff pastry sheets
155g butter, melted
7 egg yolks
20 morel mushrooms (dried)
200ml, white wine
1,5 kg peeled white asparagus
Salt & pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons lemon
Cayenne pepper (a pinch)
How to prepare for 4 people:
1. Roll out the pastry and cut into 10x 10 cm squares. Place on baking paper in a baking tray and brush with one egg yolk. Cook for 20 minutes at 180°C on the bottom tray until slightly golden. This step can be done before serving, or keep warm in the oven at a very low temperature.
2. In a metal bowl put 300 ml of hot water and submerge the rinsed morels for 20 minutes then drain. Cook the morels for a further five minutes in 30g of the butter.
3. Cook asparagus in shallow pot covered with sugared water for 15 minutes or until tender.
4. Place drained asparagus on a plate and position the morels. Pour over the warm sauce and place a pastry slice on top of the asparagus.
To make the sauce:
5. Combine the wine, salt and peppers in a saucepan; bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, until reduced by half. Strain into a jug and cool. Blend the egg yolks until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add the butter (better if bubbling hot) to the yolks and blend until thickened. Add the wine mixture and lemon into the yolk mixture a gently blend through.
You may like to read more about white asparagus growing in our region of Baden WÃ¼rttemberg and how to prepare.