• 6 thick slices of Black Forest smoked ham (cut into pieces)
• 30g butter
• 2 brown onions, thinly sliced.
• 150ml double cream
• 1 sheet, shortcrust pastry
• 170 g smoked cheese (large grated pieces)
• 1 egg, beaten
• 120g egg tomatoes, sliced
• A small amount of flour
What to do:
1. Heat oven to 200C. Heat the butter in a pan until sizzles, then add the chopped ham pieces and cook for 5 minutes until crisp (Black Forest ham is dark, so it may appear to look burnt in the pan). Add the onion pieces until soften, sticky and golden. Add the cream and stir then remove from the heat and cool down.
2. Roll the pastry out on a slightly floured surface to a rectangle (A4 size) and place on a baking tray. Roll-up the edges to form a raised border around the pastry.
3. In a bowl, add the onion mixture and mix the grated cheese with most of the egg (reserve a little for basting). Spread evenly over the pastry, then scatter with the tomato pieces and extra crumbled cheese. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.