23 April 2011
Posted in Sweet things
April 23, 2011
This chocolate cake is only treat that my husband and myself have allowed ourselves during the Easter holidays. With good quality eating chocolate and tiny chocolate eggs; all have been reformed into this moist, festive cake.
50g cocoa powder
125ml boiling water
185g butter, softened
300g packed brown sugar
225g type 405 flour (add 1 teaspoons of baking powder) or use self-raising flour
75g plain flour
¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
130g small chocolate Easter eggs
For the chocolate frosting
300g eating-quality chocolate, chopped
130ml thickened cream
How to make:
1. Combine cocoa powder and water in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Cool down.
2. Preheat the oven to (160°C/140°C fan-forced).
Grease a deep 18cm cake pan, and line the base with baking paper.
3. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, gradually, beating until all are combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
4. Stir in sifted flours and bicarbonate soda, milk, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked. Stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a rack to cool.
For the chocolate topping:
5. Combine chocolate and cream in a small saucepan, stir over a low heat until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate, stirring frequently.
Spread chocolate topping over top and the sides of the cake, decorate with chocolate eggs and decorations.