17 October 2010
Posted in Savory
I was inspired to make this tangy, pear paste after trying it in a Tuscan restaurant on a piece of Parmesan.
- 1kg pears, ripen
- 2 tablespoon, lemon juice
- 400g sugar, fine
- 500g Parmesan for serving
1. Peel, core and chop pears, put into a saucepan with half the cores (this gives the firm texture of the paste) and the lemon juice. Cover with water just enough to cover the pear. Simmer on a medium heat until the pears are soft.
2. Puree the pears in a food processor, clean the saucepan and return the puree. Add the sugar and cook until the mixture thickens, stir often.
3. Serve at room temperature.
For a required heavier paste add an extra 300g of sugar. Put the mixture onto a lined tray and refrigerate to set.